Sunday, May 9, 2010

Happy Mother's Day!

I hope that all of you mothers and "spiritual mothers" are having a wonderful day.

The Teds have been known to forget Special Days, or to give incredibly inappropriate gifts to me, making me fly into a rage or break down in tears. I mean, how can they be so insensitive?

Well, not today! This morning my son Teddy presented me with my gift. It is, in my estimation, the perfect gift for me. It's a cutting board, but not just any cutting board. It was hand made by a Michigan artist and is of beautiful birdseye maple and inlaid with black walnut. While it is, indeed, a work of art, it is meant to be used. This is the perfect crossroad of "art" and "craft." It is about 12 inches long, and is perfect for small cutting jobs.
CLICK HERE to visit the artist's Web site, Steve Uren Studios in Marquette, Michigan. His work is beautiful.

I already used it to cut strawberries for strawberry shortcake, and to mince garlic for my braised short ribs, which I am making for dinner tonight, along with yummy roasted asparagus and a lovely wilted lettuce salad.

"What!?" you say? "She has to make her own Mother's Day dinner?" The Teds would have taken me out to dinner, but I requested to stay at home and cook. After a few fairly disastrous dinners in local restaurants, I learned that I am a far better cook than any place they might have taken me, and I LOVE to cook. I just have to get them trained to clean up after me!

My podcast is planned, and I can't wait to get the projects finished! The theme was inspired by two recent events, and I am so excited to share it with you -- but right now it's a surprise!

Enjoy the rest of your day!
'thann

No comments:

Post a Comment