Saturday, May 8, 2010

My Trip to the Ricky Tims Super Quilt Seminar

My sister Pat and I attended the Ricky Tims Super Quilt Seminar in Olmsted Falls, Ohio, last week. We'd been planning this trip for ages, and it was well worth it!

I took the Amtrak train from Michigan to Pat's house in Illinois, and we took a road trip through Indiana, where we stopped in Shipshewana, which is Amish country. Then we continued to North Olmsted, Ohio (near Cleveland).

The seminar provided so much information! It was all lecture, so we didn't have to drag sewing machines around.

Ricky was joined by Alex Anderson and Libby Lehmann, and between the three of them they covered so many techniques. Ricky is known for his incredible applique techniques, Alex is more of a traditional quilter and showed hand quilting techniques, and Libby is known for her innovative surface embellishment technique called "threadplay."

I'm going to talk at length about our adventure in my podcast next week, but until then I'll share the following slide show with you.
Click to play this Smilebox slideshow: SuperSeminar2010

3 comments:

  1. Thanks Ruthann for bringing back some wonderful memories of my trip to Ricky's Seminar last May. And for everyone else reading this.....if you ever have the opportunity to attend this seminar don't let it pass you by. It's a wonderful learning experience & a lot of fun too!!

    Ruthann, did you buy anything fun? :)

    -debby, chester ny

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did you manage to snag a front row seat?

    I'm going to this in June in Rocklin, CA. Can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Debby, I bought 10 pieces of Ricky's fabric (you know how much that cost!), a bunch of thread, some Stable Stuff, and other miscellaneous things from his "store." I also bought three feet and a circle attachment for my Bernina from the Bernina vendor. SIGH. Ted still has no idea what I spent! And that was just at the Super Seminar! I also bought a lot of stuff in Shipshewana! At least I saved up for this, so it wasn't too bad.

    Terri, seating was first-come, first-served, and when Pat and I walked into the auditorium, no one had claimed the first row seats, so we did! While the huge screen afforded fabulous close-ups of the techniques being demonstrated, I loved being really close to the stage.

    This is a not-to-miss event -- if you ever have the chance to attend one of Ricky's Super Quilt Seminars, GO! I guarantee you will not be disappointed!

    ReplyDelete