Monday, April 15, 2013

Something's Cookin'!

Happy Monday!

Yesterday and today I ventured into the fine art of sausage making. Yesterday I ground my first Italian sausage, and today I put it in a casing. This would have been easier if I had done it all at once, but I didn't have casing on hand.

[Side note: I always grind all of my own meat, and I try to buy my meats locally. Today's pork tenderlon was from a local farm where the free-range pigs are grass fed and treated humanely.]

Making sausage is enormously satisfying -- and incredibly easy. You do need some sort of food grinder (you can buy hand crank ones at many hardware stores, and probably at thrift shops). I am happy to have a KitchenAid professional mixer with a grinding attachment and a sausage stuffer. My Italian sausage is a combination of mostly pork tenderloin with added fat from a small amount of salt pork, to which I added many spices and herbs. I used natural casing, which is easier to find in a market than you might think.

The recipe is from the book Sausage: Recipes for Making and Cooking With Homemade Sausage by Victoria Wise (click to see the book on Amazon), which I downloaded to my iPad Nook app. This book has a wide variety of sausages from pork, beef, and lamb, to poultry and vegetarian. And, no, you don't need to use casings -- she explains how to use cheese cloth to shape links instead.

And here is my beautiful Italian sausage!

At this moment I am also making a traditional Quebecois meat pie called Tourtière, which is also made from ground pork, along with potatoes, onions, and a variety of sweeter spices (allspice and nutmeg, for example. This recipe is from The Original King Arthur Flour Cookbook (click to check out the book), which was a gift from my sister-in-law Michelle. I promise to share a photo of the pie when it is finished!

Later, gator!
'thann

1 comment:

  1. If you're trying hard to lose pounds then you need to start following this totally brand new custom keto diet.

    To create this keto diet service, certified nutritionists, fitness trainers, and chefs united to develop keto meal plans that are powerful, decent, price-efficient, and enjoyable.

    Since their launch in early 2019, 1000's of individuals have already transformed their figure and health with the benefits a great keto diet can give.

    Speaking of benefits: in this link, you'll discover eight scientifically-certified ones offered by the keto diet.

    ReplyDelete