Friday, February 12, 2010

My Reading List From Podcast 009

Claire recently sent an email asking me to list the books I mentioned on Podcast 9. She reminded me of another series I like by Joann Fluke featuring Hannah Swenson.

Here is the list I mentioned in the podcast:
  • Lilian Jackson Braun's "The Cat Who..." mystery series
  • Jennifer Chiaverini's Elm Creek Quilters series
  • Diane Mott Davidson's food-related mystery series featuring Goldie Bear
  • Terri Thayer's two mystery series, one about quilting, one about rubber stamping
  • Monica Ferris' mystery series about the Crewel World needlework shop (always includes a pattern)
I also read the alphabet mystery series by Sue Grafton, Patricia Cornwell's books, James Patterson's books (although I've grown tired of them), and so many more that I know I've forgotten. As I mentioned in the podcast, every summer I select an author and read through his or her entire oeuvre. This past summer it was poor James Patterson. I read 50+ books in the order in which they were published. By the end, I was ready to send a hit squad to take down Alex Cross myself! I suggest that my approach is the WRONG way to read an author's works!

Here are the books I'm reading right now -- yes, I tend to read several books at once.

  • In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan (his books changed the way I eat)
  • Dead Ex by Harley Jane Kozak
  • Cache of Corpses by Henry Kisor
My local library knows me as soon as I walk in the door -- they immediately check the hold shelf, and invariably there are two or three books waiting for me.

My husband, Ted, is a much more erudite reader. His tastes tend toward history and biographies. Teddy reads a lot of fantasy literature, but intersperses it with classics. Right now, for example, he is reading Bleak House by Charles Dickens.

So that's how and what I read! And in perusing the list, I'm thinking I'd better add a classic or two to my list...

'thann

7 comments:

  1. Well, not sure if I should mention this but...being a vegetarian I'm not a fan of Michael Pollan. Anyone who kills an animal just to see if he can/or what it's like, is not someone I'd want to take eating/living advice from. Sorry, just had to give my opinion.
    -debby

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you, Debby -- but the good thing is that Pollan advocates humane slaughter of animals (although that is really an oxymoron). In one of his books he talks at length about the horrible conditions of mass slaughterhouses and those awful poky pens out west where animals have no quality of life.

    His philosophy is, "Eat food, not too much, mostly plants." And I know he was a vegetarian once upon a time.

    I've tried vegetarianism, but it just doesn't work for me. I respect your ability to do so. I do try to eat locally, and try to select grass-fed meats from local farms, knowing that the animals have a decent quality of life.

    Your opinion is highly valued! And I do hope you continue to listen even though I'm not a vegetarian!

    Ruthann

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ruthann,

    Thanks for the mention! I'll give a listen to your podcast.

    I'm a Pollan fan, too. Always striving to eat more plants.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're welcome, Terri. If you listen to the podcast, I get all giggly when I mention your name because you're a "FRIEND" (on Facebook)! LOL! I am so starstruck!

    I just finished Inked Up and was surprised at whodoneit. Sorry to say I borrowed it from the library and didn't buy it, but I'm retired and don't have a whole lot of "book money" any more.

    I remember telling the late Bill "Rosary Murders" Kienzle (an acquaintance of mine) that I had just borrowed his latest book from the library, he was a little miffed that I hadn't bought it.

    Well, maybe mentioning your books on my podcast will prod folks to buy them!

    One thing I particularly like about your books is all the little vignettes -- just small scenes that I know you, as an author, must have actually seen or experienced. They make your books very real.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi... I love the fact that you also pick an author and read all their books. I do the same thing but I do it all year round. Right now I am on an amish kick and reading many writers when I can get them from the library. I am such a geek that I keep an excel spreadsheet of what books I have read and which ones are left. One thing I started a long time ago is, I have a journal book that I keep of every book I have read. I got the idea from a good friend and I have only been doing it a few years but I love looking back.
    I am listening to your podcasts in order and I am only up to Feb. I listen when I am at the gym or walking the dog i am housesitting for. Love your podcasts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Dottie! Thanks for your kind words. It's nice to know that I keep you company.

    I really should keep a list of my books. My son keeps a very detailed list of every movie he watches, including ratings. Perhaps I should follow suit.

    As far as books, right now I'm reading a mystery series by British author C.F. Roe. They're interesting (the protagonist is a female physician). For some reason I'm also reading several biographies of 1960s folksingers -- strange reading! Considering I'm a former folksinger, I guess I'd rather not know what my "idols" were really up to back then!

    Ruthann

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like Dottie I keep a list of the books I read but I keep them in a database. I've read a lot of the book series you mentioned. Here are some others you might like: Tony Hillerman, James Doss, Dana Stabenow, Debbie Crombie, Nevada Barr, M.C. Beaton (2 series),
    My husband used to say the library had me on speed dial - that is until they started notifying by email (we can also request books via the internet from the library.)
    Love your podcast. I too like many crafts like you including poly clay, cross stitch, beading, jewelry making, crochet & knitting. Wish ravelery included more crafts.

    ReplyDelete